Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE)
Who Should be Referred For a Functional Capacity Evaluation?
- Individuals who have reached maximum medical improvement and are awaiting impairment rating and case closure.
- Workers who need their function quantified prior to vocational job search and return to work.
- Individuals who have long standing cases that for various reasons have not had resolution.
- Individuals who have a history of subjective complaints without objective findings.
- Individuals who need quantification of their physical capacities for determination of disability status.
- Individuals who require quantification of their physical function for medical-legal reasons.
Benefits of a Functional Capacity Evaluation
- Timely impairment ratings and return to work.
- Assistance in the process of case management and resolution.
- Identification of symptom magnifiers.
- Matching of physical performance levels to the demands of a specific job or work activity or an occupation.
- Remove guesswork from the physicians return to work prescription.
- Objective determination of the individual’s ability to safely return to work with or without restrictions.
- Reduction in workers compensation cost and disability costs.
- Determine safe job placement for vocational rehab.
- Help minimize the employer's cost of compensation and increase productivity.
- Reduce possibility of future work-related injuries.